Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There's not a lot of news right now

Well, we've almost made it to the dawn of a brand new big league baseball season. Right now could be the most excruciating time of the year for me personally, however. This three week lull in-between the free agent frenzy and the start of Spring Training is taxing on a writer, in the sense that once your team is done making moves there is little else to write about until pitchers and catchers report.
On that front I can tell you that some of the Royals pitchers and catchers have made plans to report early (I'm talking earlier than the usual early) to Spring Training again this year (they did this last season too). Zack Greinke told me that he and a few of his teammates would begin reporting on Feb. 2, to get some early work out of the way so that they can dial it up on Feb. 14 (the mandated day for pitchers and catchers to report).
So I have been really bored lately and decided, "Hey, let's do a mock up of the Royals Opening Day lineup." Yes, I actually said that to myself aloud. Anyways, I understand that guessing who will take the field in two months is pretty unpredictable because so many things can happen before the start of the year -- injuries, trades, etc. But hey, this is my blog and I can do what I want, right? Maybe not, but here goes anyways!!

Tug's projected Opening Day lineup:

1. Coco Crisp, CF
2. David DeJesus, LF
3. Jose Guillen, RF
4. Mike Jacobs, DH
5. Alex Gordon, 3B
6. Billy Butler, 1B
7. Mark Teahen, 2B
8. Mike Aviles, SS
9. Miguel Olivo, C

**** I'm going all out here and saying that Mark Teahen sticks as the club's starting second baseman. I hit Butler in front of him to break up three lefty's in a row. Billy is my starting first baseman, because well, a slimmed down Billy Butler is a better fielding first sacker than Mike Jacobs (who would probably have better offensive numbers if he's not spending as much time still trying to learn how to play first base).
Crisp is my leadoff man because he obviously is going to steal more bases than DeJesus, and will likely be on base just as often. This should allow the team to score some runs with DD being the gap-shooter he is. God willing, Guillen should hit much better in this lineup because he's got DeJesus and Jacobs surrounding him for protection. I know that's still a far cry from the Papi-Manny days, but still. I like the balance of lefty-righties in this set. Make a post if you have a different variation to what I have and explain your reasons.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be all smart and list a lineup of my own here, but nope. I like the looks of this one just fine.
Where do you see Callaspo in all of this, though. I believe I'm the only one who has any faith at all in the dude.

Levi "Tug" Payton said...

Callaspo, well...maybe you are the only one with faith in him. Haha. Not really. I think he's a fine hitter, but he's so slow and lacks range at second that it's going to be hard to find him a regular spot on this team. I would say if Teahen doesn't earn the spot at second then there's a good chance Callaspo will earn time there. If Teahen wins the job at second then Callaspo is likely traded or designated for assignment/cut, because what I'm hearing the club is already slotting Bloomquist ahead of Callaspo. Look, the scouts know Bloomquist isn't an everyday guy and that's why you're seeing Teahen getting a shot there. When it all shakes down I believe Callaspo will either be coming off the bench (likely only to hit, he would not be a defensive upgrade) or traded/cut. If he had more range and foot speed he'd be a lock at second.

Anonymous said...

"...he's so slow and lacks range at second that it's going to be hard to find him a regular spot on this team."

Brilliant. Who was the starting 2B when the Royals went 18-8 in September? You think Callaspo lacks range? He would look like Ozzie Smith next to Teahen. A right-side of the infield with Teahen and Jacobs/Butler/Shealy is a disaster.

You're just another Teahen groupie who for some reason can't ignore the fact that he's German with more pop in his bat...which isn't much.

Levi "Tug" Payton said...

So I guess Callaspo was solely responsible for Kansas City going 18-8 in September. I'll be sure to tell Dayton Moore that you have solved all of their organizational problems. He'll appreciate that. Maybe "Slow-po" could be the MLB MVP if Moore would hire some anonymous blogger to run the show and play Alberto half-sauced at second night in and night out.
Thanks for enlightening me scout. I obviously have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. HOW ON EARTH could I be dumb enough to believe that a former big league infielder, a former college second baseman, and a very good talent could ever beat a turtle-speed drunkard out at second base???? You realize we're talking big-league baseball and not slow-pitch softball, right?
For your info, I'm not hardly a Teahen groupie. I just know baseball talent when I see it. For your info, the Royals also went 18-8 with a much improved Mark Teahen hitting in the lineup. They also had a hot-hitting Ryan Shealy, Alex Gordon, Billy Butler...wow! I guess I'm now a ROYALS GROUPIE! I guess it's a free-for-all to talk out of your ass and accuse me of whatever you would like since you're not going to put your name on what you post. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find the archives where I beg the Royals to keep Teahen. Umm...not.

Levi "Tug" Payton said...

Remember that the Royals also played nearly the entire season without Callaspo. You probably don't know why, but he can't stay out of the bottle and let his team and organization down. He's had off-field issues way before the Royals ever traded for him. You want to count on someone like that to be your starting second baseman?
Now that is BRILLIANT!